Professional, Originally Released On Cassette Only
Game Type : Educational
Authors : Ann and Russel Wills
Standalone Release(s) : 1984: WORD SEQUENCING, Acornsoft/ESM, £9.95
Compilation Release(s) : None
Stated compatibility : Electron
Actual compatibility : Electron, BBC B, B+ and Master 128
Supplier : ACORNSOFT, Betjeman House, 104 Hills Road, CAMBRIDGE CB2 1LQ
Tel: (0223) 316039
Disc compatibility : CDFS E00, DFS E00
This pack contains three Word Sequence programs on cassette (PROVERBS, NURSERY RHYMES and SENTENCE SENSE). Loading instructions appear on the inside front cover of this pack. All other instructions are contained in the programs and are shown on the screen.
Each program presents a series of jumbled words which must be arranged to form either a proverb, nursery rhyme title or a sensible sentence. Words to be moved are first located and selected using the cursor right and cursor left keys. The words are then moved using the number 2 and 3 keys.
The "Teachers' Notes" give the user control over the length of time that a child works. Once the time is selected, up to 20 children can use the programs and their results will be stored for later recall.
About the authors
Russel Wills began his career in computing in 1965 when he joined IBM as a lecturer. He then worked in Africa for five years as a systems analyst returning to the UK in 1972 to take up his present post as lecturer in computer education in Dundee.
Ann Wills is head teacher of a primary school. Russel and Ann Wills share a common interest in the development of software for the microcomputer, and the integration of this material into the school curriculum.
Inserting New Words Into WORD SEQUENCING
Once your students have become familiar with the phrases supplied on the WORD SEQUENCING program, you may like to replace them with phrases of your own choice. The procedure for replacing existing phrases and then saving the amending program is given below.
1. Select and load the program you wish to change.
2. Press <BREAK>.
3. Type OLD and press <RETURN>.
4. Hold down CTRL and press N (this turns page mode on for listing, although nothing appears on the screen).
5. Type LIST 6000, and press <RETURN>.
The screen will display a page of word lists called data statements. Each data statement has a number at the beginning of it and contains the sentence which will then be jumbled up in the program.
Search for the data statement you wish to replace. If the required data statement is not on this page press SHIFT to move on to the next page.
6. Press ESCAPE to end the listing of the program.
7. Move the cursor using the arrow keys to the beginning of the appropriate data statement.
8. Press COPY to copy the data statement up to the position where the new sentence is to be typed. This should be after the double quote which follows the word DATA.
9. Ensure that the CAPS LK light is off.
10. Type in your new sentence and put a double quote after it.
11. Press <RETURN>.
This procedure can be repeated to replace all of the original sentences.
12. Press <SHIFT> and CAPS LK to turn the CAPS LK light on.
13. Type RUN and press <RETURN>. Check that your new sentence has been entered into the list.
14. When you have verified this, press <BREAK> to leave the program.
15. Type OLD and press <RETURN>.
16. Save this version on to cassette by typing SAVE "filename" and press <RETURN>.
NOTE: We recommend that you can use your own filename so that the original program remains intact. In this case, your new version of the program cannot be loaded via the INDEX, but you should use the CHAIN or LOAD command, for example: CHAIN "filename" <RETURN>
Instructions' Source : WORD SEQUENCING (Acornsoft) Back and Inner Inlay
Reviews : No Review Yet